10 days ago I went to open the garage door. I pushed the 'doorbell'. Nuthin. I pushed again. Nuthin. All I heard was *click* *click* Aw man....!
I checked the laser eyes. No blocking and green lights on both 'eyes'. Everything else seemed to be in order. Even the lights on the opener worked. Just not the opener itself.
*fume* I probably shouldn't have, but I managed to lift the garage door far enough to push a 2x4 under it so I could drive the car out. I called the garage door people and they wanted to schedule me a service call. But I asked for J... Though he wasn't a service guy anymore, he knew my setup and I felt comfortable talking to him. He knew my penchant for trying to fix things myself so gave me the 800-number for Liftmaster.
Later that day I called them and got a lovely lady who helped me decipher the error code on the blinking LED light on the unit. We decided either the unit was overheating or that there was a fault/damage to the circuit board. I left the unit unplugged for half an hour, tried again, and voila - the door went up. Yay.
At that time I thought the unit (11/98 mfg) was probably failing. After all, how could the unit have overheated when it hadn't been used for over 12 hours when I tried to use it?
Anyhoo, for the past 10 days whenever I pushed the button, I kinda cringed. Was THIS the day it doesn't work anymore?
Well, yesterday was the day. Aw man, again....!
I spent a little time on the internet yesterday and found a replacement circuit board close by in Northern Ohio. $62. Okay. Then I went to youtube and watched some vids. I could do that. Okay. So today, in prep for ordering/replacing the circuit board (waaay cheaper than a whole new unit) I removed the circuit board. Took lots of pics so I would know which wires and bus lines went where.
Okay, I can get it off. Now lets make sure I could get a replacement on. But first --- using a bright light and magnifying glass, I checked what I could on the board itself. All the solders looked good. No broken wires. Hmmm. Let's try something before putting it back on. There. Time to re-install.
Bus cable plugged in. Wires wound on correctly. Cover screwed back onto unit. Let's see what happens.
Push the button. PUSH IT! *whirrrrrrrrrr* And up she went. Woohoo.
Okay. I'm pretty sure the board is failing. But when it finally dies for real, I a) know where to get a new board and b) I'm confident I can install it myself.
Oh. What did I do before I re-installed the board that MAY have fixed the issue?
Air-in-a-can. I'm a computer geek. Electronics hate dust.** And this time I've left out the 60w incandescent light on that side of the opener. Maybe having that light come on could possibly overheat the board. We'll see, folks. Fingers crossed.
** Maybe I should not use the orbital sander so much in the garage anymore. ;-D
=> click HERE for details
Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.
appliance Auto Repair baseboards basement breezeway Customer Service door drains dryer electric faucet fireplace French door furniture garage door garage door opener Home Depot kitchen leak light lint LSD paneling plumbing primer repairs ReStore RO roof softener steamer sunroom toilet wall heater washer well room window repair workroom