For the past couple of months I'd noticed that the Hot/Cotton setting on the dryer didn't seem to be doing the job on the sheets and towels. It took longer and longer for the loads to dry and it was annoying.
So yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and called a serviceman. I hoped I would get someone who wasn't going to rip me off. Lucky me, I got a gem of a guy.
When I told him what was happening he asked a couple of questions and then suggested that I remove the vent tube and clean it out. He thought I didn't have any thermostat or gas supply issues, just poor air flow.
Well, okay then. I could do that...
And do that I did. Check out the lint in that flex tube! The shop vac filter filled right up and that pile in the canister is nearly 10" deep! Yikes.
I reinstalled the flextube, tightened down the screw clamps and tossed in a load of towels. Tada!
The flextube was clear now and when I went outside to check the vent, there was good pressure blowing out lots of hot steam.
Now how about that. Action Appliance didn't just come out, figure out it was the tube, probably clean it for me and ultimately charge me a $50 service call. No. Ty figured it out and encouraged me to give it a go myself. Now THAT's my kind of service call. :-D
I'll have to keep tabs on that exhaust tube from now on. And I'm going to have to go over and check Mom's dryer. She's been complaining about longer dry times lately. You might want to keep an eye on your's as I'm sure I wasted a lot of gas/elec this past few months just because there wasn't enough air flow. My bad....
Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.